PDA

View Full Version : sharp pain in my wrist

Newspaper
12-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I just started lifting again about 3 weeks ago after having a boxer break on the pinkie side of my hand, and now when I try to do any kind of pressing, I get a shooting paint from the heel of my hand down into my forearm. If I bend my hand backwards and push on my fingers at all, i get a sharp pain on the outside of my wrist that is pretty intense. The pain started about a week after getting back to lifting. Anyone have any ideas on what I could have done?

Thanks for helping the new guy.

Gymintensity56
12-02-2008, 03:08 AM
could be tendonitis.... or a nerve, not sure if it feels like nerve problems/tingling or not.... possibly could have a fracture in the wrist area and not know it...if it hurts severely and you cant lift heavy at all, then i wouldn't suggest it. just do types of lifts that dont hurt you, and you might also want to get some wrist wraps and use them for a while. if pain persists get some xrays if you haven't already.

I just started lifting again about 3 weeks ago after having a boxer break on the pinkie side of my hand, and now when I try to do any kind of pressing, I get a shooting paint from the heel of my hand down into my forearm. If I bend my hand backwards and push on my fingers at all, i get a sharp pain on the outside of my wrist that is pretty intense. The pain started about a week after getting back to lifting. Anyone have any ideas on what I could have done?

Thanks for helping the new guy.

Newspaper
12-02-2008, 11:49 AM
could be tendonitis.... or a nerve, not sure if it feels like nerve problems/tingling or not.... possibly could have a fracture in the wrist area and not know it...if it hurts severely and you cant lift heavy at all, then i wouldn't suggest it. just do types of lifts that dont hurt you, and you might also want to get some wrist wraps and use them for a while. if pain persists get some xrays if you haven't already.

I had follow up x rays last Wednesday and they said everything looked good. I don't really have any tingling in my wrist, it is a sharp pain. It only does it when I try to do bench press, incline, military, or push ups. Any ideas on what kind of exercises I could do to work my chest and avoid pressing? thanks again for the help.

Gymintensity56
12-02-2008, 01:31 PM
I had follow up x rays last Wednesday and they said everything looked good. I don't really have any tingling in my wrist, it is a sharp pain. It only does it when I try to do bench press, incline, military, or push ups. Any ideas on what kind of exercises I could do to work my chest and avoid pressing? thanks again for the help.

does it hurt to do chest flys? i would suspect it probably hurts doing flys also. it honestly really sounds like tendonitis to me. just that tendon down the side of your hand and wrist is tight. maybe getting it warmed up and stretching your wrists out will help. also using machines for press will most likely be easier on your wrists than freeweights

Newspaper
12-02-2008, 05:14 PM
does it hurt to do chest flys? i would suspect it probably hurts doing flys also. it honestly really sounds like tendonitis to me. just that tendon down the side of your hand and wrist is tight. maybe getting it warmed up and stretching your wrists out will help. also using machines for press will most likely be easier on your wrists than freeweights

DB flys it hurts, I will try it on the machine today when i get to the gym.
If it is tendonitis will this be a problem I will always have? Sorry for all the questions but thank you for the help.

Gymintensity56
12-03-2008, 01:04 AM
DB flys it hurts, I will try it on the machine today when i get to the gym.
If it is tendonitis will this be a problem I will always have? Sorry for all the questions but thank you for the help.

hey no prob... this is my field of study so im glad to help... i dont know everything yet by far but im currently learning lots about athletic injuries and prevention.

you know , your injury/wrist is probably very similar to mine. except mine hurts when i do barbell bicep curls, it hurts right at the wrist joint and is a very sharp pain and then when i rack the weight it aches for a few seconds intensely then goes away... now if your wrist does that same thing, it is probably tendonitis as stated before. as far as going away, probably not , unfortunately. but some days should feel better than others. cold days will probably make it ache more. just stretch it , keep it warmed up and you can even get some massage cream and massage it as you have time. only that makes me think it might be a sprain is that you said it hurts when you bend your hand back.

theres a little pocket on the outside part of your wrist. push on it and see if it hurts. also does the pain occur on the hand side of the wrist jointline or on the arm side of the joint line?

as far as doing things to help it get better, you can try ibuprofen for a couple weeks and see if that helps with the inflammation and pain. also something that helps mine is just not doing exercises that make it throb, if at all possible. for example, straight bar hurts my wrist when curling, so i can use a curling bar and change the angle and amount of pressure put on the outside of my wrist and it doesn't hurt as bad.

Newspaper
12-03-2008, 06:20 PM
hey no prob... this is my field of study so im glad to help... i dont know everything yet by far but im currently learning lots about athletic injuries and prevention.

you know , your injury/wrist is probably very similar to mine. except mine hurts when i do barbell bicep curls, it hurts right at the wrist joint and is a very sharp pain and then when i rack the weight it aches for a few seconds intensely then goes away... now if your wrist does that same thing, it is probably tendonitis as stated before. as far as going away, probably not , unfortunately. but some days should feel better than others. cold days will probably make it ache more. just stretch it , keep it warmed up and you can even get some massage cream and massage it as you have time. only that makes me think it might be a sprain is that you said it hurts when you bend your hand back.

theres a little pocket on the outside part of your wrist. push on it and see if it hurts. also does the pain occur on the hand side of the wrist jointline or on the arm side of the joint line?

as far as doing things to help it get better, you can try ibuprofen for a couple weeks and see if that helps with the inflammation and pain. also something that helps mine is just not doing exercises that make it throb, if at all possible. for example, straight bar hurts my wrist when curling, so i can use a curling bar and change the angle and amount of pressure put on the outside of my wrist and it doesn't hurt as bad.

Everything that you have described about your tendonitis sounds like what I have but the only thing that has me puzzled is that I had never had a problem with it until after I got my cast off.

I have a hard time pin pointing exactly where the pain is coming from, when I do bench pressing i feel it on the hand side, but when I push down on my fingers its on the arm side.

I am going to try doing my curls with a strait bar today and see if I get any pain from it, I use a wave bar most of the time and I haven't gotten any pain from it. and btw, when i did butterflys on the machine, It didn't bother me at all.

Gymintensity56
12-03-2008, 11:47 PM
cool , let me know how the curls go. and its also possible having that cast on could have started a little tendinitis from not being able to have any type of range of motion in the wrist. its like sitting in a car and driving all day long. your joints and bones are going to be sore and tight from not moving.
also i just remember that you could get a joint complex supplement that might help ease the pain. get a joint complex that has glucosamine, chondrointin and msm in it. that should help with the joint problems just give it a few weeks to kick in. you can get something called triflex at gnc that has all the right stuff in it. maybe something cheaper at walmart.

Everything that you have described about your tendonitis sounds like what I have but the only thing that has me puzzled is that I had never had a problem with it until after I got my cast off.

I have a hard time pin pointing exactly where the pain is coming from, when I do bench pressing i feel it on the hand side, but when I push down on my fingers its on the arm side.

I am going to try doing my curls with a strait bar today and see if I get any pain from it, I use a wave bar most of the time and I haven't gotten any pain from it. and btw, when i did butterflys on the machine, It didn't bother me at all.

Newspaper
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
cool , let me know how the curls go. and its also possible having that cast on could have started a little tendinitis from not being able to have any type of range of motion in the wrist. its like sitting in a car and driving all day long. your joints and bones are going to be sore and tight from not moving.
also i just remember that you could get a joint complex supplement that might help ease the pain. get a joint complex that has glucosamine, chondrointin and msm in it. that should help with the joint problems just give it a few weeks to kick in. you can get something called triflex at gnc that has all the right stuff in it. maybe something cheaper at walmart.

Tried to do strait bar curls and they absolutely killed my wrist. I can barely start to curl it up before my wrist is throbbing. I am going to call and get in the doctors again and get it over with. I have a feeling that I sprained it somehow or it is broken again:confused:

Gymintensity56
12-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Tried to do strait bar curls and they absolutely killed my wrist. I can barely start to curl it up before my wrist is throbbing. I am going to call and get in the doctors again and get it over with. I have a feeling that I sprained it somehow or it is broken again:confused:

alright let me know how it goes. and sometimes tendinitis can be super painful. hopefully theres no bone problems.

Newspaper
12-06-2008, 10:20 PM
will do man, thank you again for the help